Monday, April 5, 2010

Musicfaithcommunitychristbandsworshipbarschurchespeopletruth...

I have a little time to kill before my next class (as I should be studying for a test, but alas, I forgot my book at home) so I thought I would relay a portion of a large string of thought that has been stirring in my head and heart recently concerning music, Christianity, and community, all intertwined into something that excites me greatly.

I love to lead the body of Christ in worship. It is an experience that I have found myself lost in on many an occasion, and hope to continue to do so in the future. Whether it's an auditorium full of people or a few close friends alone in a room crying out desperately to their Father, expressing those emotions and glories to God through music is a beautiful thing. This got me thinking, then, about the nature of music in general, as both an art form and as a form of worship.

Music in and of itself is beautiful. We also know that every "good and perfect gift" has been graciously given to us by the God of the universe himself. Therefore, I can wager, that the mere playing of music with the right heart posture is glorifying to the originator of said gift. Amazing!

Furthermore, I began to allow this mindset to be used as a lens to view the current trend of "Christian music". It highly disturbs me that we so quickly section off our music based on the faith held by the members rather than the sound of the music itself, not so much that there isn't some destructive and negative music that should be avoided, but more for the reason that people of faith should be able to express their passions and convictions in a larger market than is allowed by most Christian distributers. It's as if there is a fence built around the music saying, "I'm sorry, sinners, you can't listen to this". If Jesus were a musician, would he would play in such a box?

I know that there is the responsibility as a Christian to build up the body of Christ. This is something that I've enjoyed being on both the giving and receiving end of, and want to improve in. However, there is also the mandate of being a light in the darkest places around. As a musician, therefore, wouldn't it be appropriate to assume that my role might not be solely leading worship with a congregation on a Sunday morning? Can I not play music in a bar while glorifying my Father in heaven? Could the way I live my faith and express truth through music be constructive for the kingdom though I might not follow the "Jesus per minute" rule (a joke about Christian music that both makes me chuckle and think very hard). I want the freedom to write not just directly about Christ in every single song. It all needs to be centered in truth, but Christ himself used parables to speak to people in different contexts, because maybe a straight approach would have been lost on their ears.

Another aspect of music that intrigues me is the communal. Two examples:

1. I went to a Mute Math concert somewhat recently, and found myself in one of the most energetic worship experiences of my life. I don't know the motivation of the band members, or of the others in the room, but the amount of sweaty bodies moving and singing and raising joyous noise was infectious.

2. The first time I saw local musician Aaron Lee Martin play, I was amazed at his ability to convey powerful truth without shame or compromise, but still hold the room in a trance-like state as they shared in the musical experience.

You see, friends, the best of these experiences that I've ever had were when it didn't at all matter who was playing the music and who was in the audience. The roles could have been completely reversed and all would have remained in tact, there was such a common bond within the room, all for something bigger than any one person.

Faith and music. Community and truth. What does this all mean to me?

Well, somewhat unexpectedly, I find myself in the beginning stages of the formation of a band. Yes, if you didn't already hear from me yet, a dear friend of mine and I are writing and dreaming and working to try and mesh our faith and our gifts. Our desire is to create such an environment that community is organically established. I would like to say to you, no matter what you claim as a belief system, no matter what kind of personality you have, if you're shy, if you feel like the world hates you, or if you think you have this whole living thing figured out: let me play my music for you! Let me share my life and heart and struggles and hopes with you!

I'm excited to see where this all leads, wherever that is. I would love to be a part of something that not only is legitimately good and creative music, but that also might help affect change in the community in which I live, and maybe wherever else I find myself playing. Are you up for an adventure with me?

2 comments:

  1. Hey. I just found your blog. Nice place you got here! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matt, keep writing. I enjoy checking back every now and then and reading your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete